US Tax Deadline Extended to 17 May 2021

Tax time clock

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has announced that the US tax deadline has been extended from 15 April until 17 May 2021.

The decision has been made in order to give taxpayers who may be under financial pressure more time to file their taxes, the tax agency have said.

It comes after last year’s deadline was also pushed forward from 15 April 2020 to 15 July 2020 in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

This will come as a welcome to many nonresidents who are struggling to file their taxes on time.

It has also been announced that you will be able to request an extension on submitting your return until 15 October by filing Form 4868.

Also, following the winter storms in Texas and Oklahoma, anyone affected by the adverse weather have been given special discrepancy until 15 June to file their federal tax return.

What will I need in order to file my taxes?

U.S. passports

In order to prepare your tax documents, you will need your:

  • Passport
  • Form I-20 (F visa) or DS-2019 (J visa)
  • SSN (Social Security Number) or ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)
  • Income documents (W2, 1042-S and/or 1099)
  • Bank account information (if you are eligible for a tax refund)

Is this deadline change the same for my state taxes?

No. The IRS has outlined that the change is applicable at a federal level.

And because state deadlines can vary, it’s best to check out your relevant state deadline to see if it has changed.

The tax experts at Sprintax will keep you updated on any further state deadline extensions announced in the coming days and weeks.

I owe money to the IRS, can I delay my payment?

In short, yes –  until 17 May!

As part of the announcement, the IRS have said that the payment of any money that taxpayers owe to them can be delayed until 17 May.

I am due a tax refund! Will this delay me receiving it?

The deadline being pushed forward will not delay tax refunds.

The IRS is still processing returns and sending out refunds at the normal rate for this time of year. Usually, you can expect to be issued a refund around 21 days after they process your return.


Can I still file my tax return today?


In fact, the earlier the better!

We always recommend that you prepare your taxes as early as you can.

By filing now you will receive your refund earlier!

You will also lessen the burden of filing your tax return for another year!

I don’t want to file my US tax return by myself. Who can help me?

Sprintax Returns – the nonresident alien tax return software!

Our online software provides an all-in-one solution covering federal tax e-filing and state tax return preparation.

Not only will we take the hassle out of filing your taxes by handling all the boring paperwork, but we will also maximize your tax refund!

We make the often difficult process for nonresidents easy and stress-free.

We will be on hand to guide you through the entire tax return-process and our Live Chat team are available to support you 24/7 and answer your tax questions.

Couple looking at laptop

Sprintax can make things much easier for you. Check out my blog posts and feel free to ask me any questions.

Leave a reply.

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *