On a Sports Scholarship in the US? Here’s What You Need to Know!

international student sports scholarship tax

Many athletes dream of having an opportunity to move to the US on a sports scholarship and study in one of their world-famous universities. If you are good enough to have been offered a scholarship, here’s what you need to know about taxes!

Studying in the US is expensive and while most universities offer scholarships and many accept applications from international students. Over 600 US universities offer $20,000 worth of scholarships to international students. If you’d like to read more about scholarships for international students in the US check out this short post from the Sprintax blog.

If you are an international student, in the US on a sports or athletic scholarship you are most likely considered a nonresident and you’re legally obliged to file a federal tax return even if you have received even $1cent.

You may also be obliged to file a state tax return, depending on your personal circumstances.

Prepare your US tax return online with Sprintax. 

That’s right! And you could get in a lot of trouble if you don’t file. This can affect your ability to return to the US or complete your studies. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to achieve a sports scholarship. Why ruin it by failing to file your taxes?

If you’re on a sports scholarship in the US, here are some tax tips from Sprintax:

When should I start preparing my US tax return?

It’s never a good idea to leave important things like tax filing until the last minute. Filing on time also means you can receive your tax refund sooner!

Yes, the deadline for filing is the 15th of April (due to Covid-19 outbreak, the tax filing deadline has been extended to 15 July in 2020) but you should prepare your documents in advance so that everything runs smoothly.

What forms must I file for my US tax return?

To file a fully compliant tax return, you must make sure you are submitting the correct forms.

Even if you have earned nothing during your time spent in the US, you must file a Form 8843 with the IRS.

If you did receive money while in the US during the tax year, you will have to file a Federal Tax Return in addition to your Form 8843.

Depending on your personal situation, you may also have to file a State Tax Return. Sprintax is the only online tax preparation software that covers both Federal and State tax prep for nonresidents in the US – so don’t worry, we can help you find out what forms you must file.

Prepare your US tax return online with Sprintax. 

How do I know what my residency status is?

This is very important.

It is not possible to file a fully compliant tax return without knowing your residency status.

The two most common tax residency statuses are; nonresident and resident.

If you are an international student in the US on an F, J, M or Q visa – you are most likely considered a nonresident alien for tax purposes.

If you’re unsure of your residency status, Sprintax will help you figure that out too.

international student sports scholarship

What will I need to file my US tax return as an international student?

  • Passport
  • Visa/immigration status information – this includes Form DS-2019 (for J visa holders) or a Form I-20 (for F visa holders)
  • Income forms – W2 Form, 1042-S and/or 1099
  • Social security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
  • If you filed a tax return with the IRS last year, you will need a copy of that tax return.

If you don’t have an ITIN, Sprintax can help you apply for one.

Not sure if you need it? Watch this short video and find out!

Make sure you have all the right documents. The sooner you start preparing, the better – that way you can contact employers if you haven’t received your payment documents for example.

Filing taxes is challenging but Sprintax offer a service that makes preparing your tax return easy! If you’re on a sports scholarship and you’d like help with getting your tax return ready for filing season, contact us today.

Prepare your US tax return online with Sprintax. 

Subscribe to the Sprintax Blog!

US tax can be confusing. Especially for nonresidents!

That’s why, if you’re an International Student or J-1 participant in the US, or you work in a University International Student Office, you should subscribe to the Sprintax blog.

You’ll find tons of useful content for nonresidents. We cover tax, student life, acclimatizing to the US and much more.

So what are you waiting for? Sign up today and never miss a thing!

Hey I'm Stacy! I'm dealing with US taxes and can't wait to help you prepare your tax return! I've been working with taxes for like forever, so you can totally trust my expertise. Sprintax can make things much easier for you. Check out my blog posts and feel free to ask me any questions.

Leave a reply.

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *