All posts tagged tax filing

  • Filing Taxes On H1B Visa – The Ultimate Guide

    About H1B visa

    The H1B visa enables skilled workers with specialized expertise to live in the US for three years (later it can be extended for another three years), and work for a sponsoring employer.

    In order to apply, you need specialized knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in areas such as medicine, science, mathematics, information technology, architecture, finance, and accounting.

    You can find more about H1B visa eligibility, application process, and visa duration here.

    H1B Visa Income Tax Obligations

    What is the tax rate for H1B visa holders?

    The answer to this question depends on your income level.

    If you work in the US as an H1B worker, you can expect to pay between 20-40% of your wages in federal, state and local taxes.

    These taxes will include:

    • Federal income tax
    • Local income tax (depending on where you live)
    • State income tax (depending on where you live)
    • Federal Social security and Medicare tax- (FICA)

    While living in the US, you may also pay property tax, sales tax, capital gains tax, transfer tax, inheritance or estate tax, hotel or lodging tax, gas tax and more.

    Federal Social security and Medicare (FICA)

    These taxes are pension and healthcare provisions for retirement.

    6.2% of your gross salary will be deducted for social security and 1.45% for Medicare and your employer contributes the same amount.

    Depending on the tax treaty the US has with your home country, in some cases, you can receive Social Security after you leave.

    Learn more about FICA tax exemption for nonresidents here.

    Federal Income Tax on an H1B

    If you are a nonresident and working in the US on a H1B visa, you will be taxed on money that you make in the US, at the same rate as US citizens. You are obliged to file a US tax return (form 1040NR), but you can not claim the same deductions as US citizens.

    If you become a US resident you will have access to those deductions, but you will also be charged on your worldwide income.

    Your income level determines the tax rate, which ranges from 10% to 39.6%. The US has progressive “marginal brackets”. Most H1B visa holders pay between 20-35% of their income.

    2020 Federal income tax brackets

    Tax rate Single Married, filing jointly Married, filing separately Head of household
    10% $0 to $9,875 $0 to $19,750 $0 to $9,875 $0 to $14,100
    12% $9,876 to $40,125 $19,751 to $80,250 $9,876 to $40,125 $14,101 to $53,700
    22% $40,126 to $85,525 $80,251 to $171,050 $40,126 to $85,525 $53,701 to $85,500
    24% $85,526 to $163,300 $171,051 to $326,600 $85,526 to $163,300 $85,501 to $163,300
    32% $163,301 to $207,350 $326,601 to $414,700 $163,301 to $207,350 $163,301 to $207,350
    35% $207,351 to $518,400 $414,701 to $622,050 $207,351 to $311,025 $207,351 to $518,400
    37% $518,401 or more $622,051 or more $311,026 or more $518,401 or more

    Local income tax

    Some cities have a local income tax, which varies between 1-4% of your gross income. This tax will be withheld by your employer and it’s very important that your address on your W4 is correct, otherwise, you may end up paying incorrect local tax.

    During the tax season, you may need to file a local income tax return (where applicable), and Sprintax can assist you!

    If you have any tax-related questions you can always get in touch with our 24/7 Live Chat support.

    State income tax

    How much you will pay depends entirely on the state that you work in. The tax will be withheld by your employer. This tax usually ranges from 0 to 10% of your gross income. The same applies to both citizens and non-citizens. Some states do not have a personal income tax, these are- Wyoming, Washington, Alaska, Florida, South Dakota, Texas and Nevada. What’s more Tennessee and New Hampshire only tax interests and dividends at the state level.

    From January to April (during the tax season) you will need to file a state income tax return. You can also file an extension and change the due date to October instead.

    I live in one state and work in another. How does this affect my taxes?

    In such a situation, you may need to file tax returns in both states and you will usually pay the higher of the two states taxes.

    The good news is that Sprintax can help you with your multi-state tax returns. If you have questions, you can always get in touch with our 24/7 Live Chat support.

    Filing taxes on H1B

    Determine your residency status with the substantial presence test

    There are two types of aliens for tax purposes- resident and nonresident aliens. In order to file your taxes, you must determine your residency status with the substantial presence test and Sprintax can do this for you. The test is applied on a calendar year-by-calendar year basis.

    Resident aliens are taxed in the same way as US citizens on their worldwide income, while nonresident aliens are taxed only on income from US sources.

    Gather your tax documentation

    You will need your Social Security Card and all tax forms like W-2, forms 1099 series, investment income statement and other income information.

    If you are a resident of Canada, Mexico, South Korea or student or business apprentice from India, you may be entitled to claim some additional credits due to US residents only like child credits. If you want to claim any of the residents’ tax deductions you must back up your claims with receipts for child care, educational cost and other applicable receipts.

    How to file your taxes

    When you are ready with all the required documents you can proceed with filing your tax return.

    If you are a temporary visitor to the US on an H1B working visa you can file your taxes directly yourself. Alternatively, if you’d like some help with all that tricky paperwork, Sprintax can prepare your income tax return for you!

    Prepare your US Nonresident Tax Return with Sprintax!


    Can I file jointly with my spouse?

    If you were married during the tax year, you do not have the option to file a return jointly with your spouse if you both are nonresident aliens, and married nonresident alien status is also treated as a single.

    This means that your spouse has the same filing obligations that you’ll have.

    Can I claim dependents on my tax return?

    Nonresidents are not allowed to claim dependents on their tax return. However, residents of Canada, Mexico, South Korea and some business apprentices or students from India may claim child tax credits for their family members if certain conditions are met.

    If you want to claim a dependent, you must file using Form 1040 NR, because the exemption cannot be taken on Form 1040NR-EZ.

    For additional information on tax exemptions & deductions for family members, please take a look here.

    Who can help me with my H1B tax preparation?

    If you are a nonresident alien on an H1B visa in the US, Sprintax can help you with the preparation of your tax return.

    Simply, create your account and in a few minutes, you will be ready to print your tax returns!

    With Sprintax you can:

    • easily prepare your tax return, because Sprintax is the only online software for nonresidents
    • chat with qualified agents 24/7
    • get the maximum tax refund and avail of every tax entitlement

    Taxes can be fun!

    Prepare your 1040-NR with Sprintax!

  • The top 5 mistakes nonresidents make on their tax returns and how to avoid them

    Woman Doing Finances at Home

    US tax is tricky and it is easy to make a mistake when filing your tax return.

    Such mistakes can be frustrating and lead to delays in both processing your tax return and retrieving your tax refund.

    In this guide, we’ll highlight the five most common mistakes made by nonresidents while filing their tax return and provide top tips on how to avoid them! Continue reading “The top 5 mistakes nonresidents make on their tax returns and how to avoid them” »

  • I filed as a resident in 2018. I have since left the US. I received the CARES payment. What should I do?

    Filed as resident in 2018, but since then left the US and now received the CARES act stimulus check, what should I do?

    In response to the COVID-19 outbreak, the US government rolled out the emergency CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security) Act.

    Essentially, it is a stimulus package which provides workers (earning less than $75,000 per year) with a one-time payment of $1,200.

    The stimulus payment can only be claimed by US citizens, permanent residents and residents for tax purposes (individuals who can pass the Substantial Presence Test) who have a valid Social Security Number (SSN), who have filed their 2018 tax return (in 2019), or their 2019 return (in 2020) and who will be considered a qualifying resident alien for the 2020 tax year.

    For more details on how US residency for tax purposes is determined, check out this blog post.
    Continue reading “I filed as a resident in 2018. I have since left the US. I received the CARES payment. What should I do?” »

  • Is Sprintax Safe?

    How to securely file your tax return and retrieve your refund 

    Continue reading “Is Sprintax Safe?” »

  • Her J-1 katılımcısının ABD vergileri hakkında bilmesi gereken 5 şey

    student j1 tax refund US
    • Başkan Trump’ın ‘Vergi Kesintileri ve İş Kanunu’ J-1 vize sahipleri için ne anlama gelmekte.
    • J-1 yükümlülük ve haklarını anlamak.
    • Sprintax – J-1 vergi iadesine başvuru yapmak için en kolay yol.

    Continue reading “Her J-1 katılımcısının ABD vergileri hakkında bilmesi gereken 5 şey” »

  • Introducing Sprintax TDS – Tax Determination Software

    How much tax should an international student be paying?

    Tax. Granted, not the most exciting topic in the world. But its importance can never be called into question.

    Over recent years the proper documentation and withholding of payments to non-resident students and scholars has become an increasingly important issue for US educational institutions.

    How much tax should an international student being paying? Are they entitled to any reliefs or deductions? Who can help them handle their US tax?

    Finally there is an easy to manage, easy to use solution which makes US tax easy for international students – Sprintax TDS.

    Continue reading “Introducing Sprintax TDS – Tax Determination Software” »

  • How to maintain a valid F-1 visa status

    Can I leave and return to the US on an F-1 visa?

    Am I entitled to work during the semester?

    How long can I stay in the country after my program is finished?

    To find out more about filing tax returns as an F-1 visa student, check out this guide.

    Continue reading “How to maintain a valid F-1 visa status” »

  • Your Frequently Asked Tax Questions Answered

    US Nonresident Tax questions answered

    Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about U.S. taxes. Continue reading “Your Frequently Asked Tax Questions Answered” »

  • Filing Your U.S. Tax Return: 5 Things You Should Know

    filing your taxes

    As an international student in the U.S., you are obliged to file a federal and state tax return for each year you are present in the U.S. Even if you have earned no U.S. sourced income, you still need to file a form 8843. All non-resident aliens in the U.S. under F-1, F-2, J-1, or J-2 and other non-immigrant exchange program status must file form 8843.
    Continue reading “Filing Your U.S. Tax Return: 5 Things You Should Know” »

  • Dangers of not filing a tax return

    If you have worked or studied in USA, do you know that you are obliged for tax filing?

    Maybe you don’t because you are no longer living there or just forgot to file due to your busy lifestyle. Whatever the case may be, not filing your taxes has very serious consequences.
    Continue reading “Dangers of not filing a tax return” »