All posts tagged Federal tax return

  • What income is taxable for nonresident aliens in the US?

    Are you a nonresident living in the US? We know it can be confusing to understand the tax system in your home country, let alone in a different one, so we are here to help explain what income is taxable for nonresidents in the US.

    As a foreign national you can be subject to one of two different systems of taxation in the US, depending on whether you are classified as a nonresident or resident alien in the US.

    If you are a nonresident alien, you are subject to US income tax only on your US source income and just like residents, you must report your income on US income tax returns.

    In this guide, we are going to take a closer look at the various different types of income which are taxable in the US and outline our tips on managing your tax requirements.
    Continue reading “What income is taxable for nonresident aliens in the US?” »

  • A complete tax guide for au pairs in the U.S.

    Au Pair Taxes Explained by Sprintax

    According to the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) there are up to 12,000 au pairs in the US at any stage during the year (source).

    We’ve put this handy guide together to fill you in on everything you need to know about foreign au pairs and tax in the US.

    About the Au Pair Program

    What is Au Pair?

    An au pair is an individual between the ages of 18 and 26, who travels from their home country to live in the US with a family and work as a caregiver (foreign nanny). An au pair comes to the US as an Exchange Visitor on a J-1 visa and is not allowed to remain in the United States longer than one year.

    Working as an au pair is an unrivaled opportunity to experience the American way of life – and for those who are not native English speakers, it’s a chance to learn and practice the language.

    You can find more about the Au Pair program here.

    Au Pair Income

    Au Pairs in America receive a cash stipend (tied to the U.S. minimum wage) from the host family. The au pair stipend constitutes “wages” because an employer-employee relationship exists between the au pair and their host family.

    Au pairs must report this income to the IRS and it’s subject to income tax.

    One of the many challenges that an au pair may face when they arrive in the US is coming to terms with the US tax system.

    Do Au Pairs have to pay taxes?

    In short, yes.

    All payments that you have received as an au pair from your host family, which cover the cost of any required academic coursework, room and board, or compensation for childcare work are subject to income tax.

    As a nonresident, au pairs will owe tax on all of the money they earned from US sources.

    Although au pair wages are not subject to mandatory U.S. income tax withholding and reporting on form W-2, au pairs must file an income tax return.

    Filing an Income Tax Return

    You will need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) or for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), whichever is applicable in your case, in order to file your US Federal tax return.

    In the United States, besides federal tax, there are also state taxes and local taxes. Whether you need to file a state tax return will depend on the tax rules of the state in which you lived and /or worked, as some states do not require you to pay state tax.

    In order to reduce your tax liability during filing, the IRS permit au pairs to pay tax in quarterly instalments. To do this, all you’ll need to do is submit Form 1040NR-ES (estimated tax return) to the IRS on a quarterly basis and enclose a cheque for the amount you are paying. You may also pay your tax in full at the end of the tax year with your 1040NR-EZ.

    Prepare your Au pair taxes hassle-free with Sprintax

    What taxes are Au Pairs exempt from?

    Because au pairs are paid for their work in the setting of a private home, they are not subject to mandatory US income tax withholding and reporting on Form 941 and W-2.

    Wages will also be exempt from social security and Medicare (FICA) taxes because of the au pair’s status as a nonresident alien. However, if you had previously been in the United States as a student, teacher, trainee, or researcher in F, J, M, or Q non-immigrant status, then you may be classed as a resident alien, meaning you may be subjected to these taxes.

    Tax deductions

    Most au pairs are considered nonresident aliens for tax purposes, so they are not eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, the Hope Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit.

    What happens if an au pair does not pay taxes?

    It’s important to note that, by not filing your tax return, you can severely jeopardize your chances of securing a US visa or Green Card in the future.

    How to pay taxes

    If the case arises where you end up owing additional taxes along with your return, you have various options to pay. The most common forms of paying are pay by check, bank transfer or your credit or debit card.

    You may need to prepare a payment voucher and mail it to the IRS with a check or money order if you choose this payment method.

    If you choose to pay with a payment voucher, Sprintax will provide the filled out form for you. You will find detailed information about the method you have chosen in your instructions.

    Check out this guide on what to do if you missed the tax deadline.

    How to file my US tax return as an Au pair

    Usually, you have until 15 April of every year to file your tax return, however – with the ongoing COVID19 pandemic causing chaos across the globe, the deadline for 2020 has been moved forward to 15 July.

    • In order to file your au pair tax return you need:
      Your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN);
    • Calculate how much you earned in the US during the previous calendar year. The simplest way is to multiply your weekly stipend with the number of weeks you worked as an au pair;
    • File form 1040NR-EZ with the IRS;
    • Send a payment to the IRS with the amount of any taxes owed.

    At Sprintax, our software has the capabilities to help you to prepare your federal tax return easily online. We will also assist you with your state tax return.

    By preparing your tax documents with Sprintax, you can also ensure that you receive your maximum tax refund! And with the average Sprintax user receiving a tax refund of $1,153, it’s easy to see why it’s worth your time checking to see what you are owed!

    With Sprintax you can:

    • Save time and stress!
    • Determine your residency status
    • Prepare a fully compliant US tax return
    • Maximize your State tax refund if available
    • Avail of our 24/7 Vita Qualified Live Chat facility

    Prepare your Au Pair tax return today!

  • Your US Tax Residency Status Explained

    US residency for tax purposes explained

    Determining your tax residency status is important, as it will decide how much tax you must pay while in the US.

    The most common mistake nonresidents make is filing their taxes as a resident. If a nonresident files as a resident they can claim benefits and receive refunds that they’re not entitled to. Incorrect filing breaks the terms and conditions of a nonresident visa, this can lead to fines and penalties and you may also jeopardise your future visa or green card applications.

    In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about your residency and how you can determine your residency status.
    Continue reading “Your US Tax Residency Status Explained” »

  • Top Tax Tips for Last-Minute Filers

    The US tax deadline may have been extended until 15 July, but many will inevitably wait until the last minute to file their tax returns.

    International students must file a tax return as a condition of their visa. You may be subject to penalties and interest if you don’t do it.

    If you’ve procrastinated and haven’t done your taxes yet, you are not alone!

    But don’t worry! We are here to help with our top tax tips for last-minute filers.
    Continue reading “Top Tax Tips for Last-Minute Filers” »

  • US Tax deadline extended to 15 July 2020

    Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, the IRS have announced a 90 day extension to the deadline to file and pay your federal taxes.
    Continue reading “US Tax deadline extended to 15 July 2020” »

  • How to File Your Nonresident Tax Return from Outside the US

    Need to file a US nonresident tax return from outside America?

    Don’t worry. You’re not alone! Countless nonresidents face this very predicament every year.

    Filing from outside the US can pose its own unique set of challenges. But, with some planning, organization and a little help from your friends at Sprintax, filing your documents can be easier than you think!

    In this handy guide, we’ve got 5 top tips to follow if you’re filing your nonresident tax documents from outside the US.
    Continue reading “How to File Your Nonresident Tax Return from Outside the US” »

  • US tax season survival guide for international students on F-1 visas

    US tax season guide for international students on F-1 visa

    While tax filing might not be the most exciting aspect of international student life in the US, the importance of completing these forms correctly cannot be underestimated.

    In fact, the way you handle your international student tax affairs will have a major impact on future Green Card and visa applications.

    With this in mind, we’ve created this handy tax guide for international students and scholars in the US on an F-1 visa.

    We’ve covered everything you need to know about tax returns, refunds, and how to stay in the taxman’s good books! So, let’s get started!

    To easily navigate this guide, we’ve listed the main covered topics in the table of contents below. Continue reading “US tax season survival guide for international students on F-1 visas” »

  • 给持F-1签证的国际学生的美国税收季节生存手册

    US tax season guide for international students on F-1 visa





    为了方便浏览本指南,我们在下面的目录中列出了主要涉及的主题。 Continue reading “给持F-1签证的国际学生的美国税收季节生存手册” »

  • Revealed: the 14 US tax questions every nonresident student asks us!

    How to file a nonresident tax return with Sprintax

    Are you a nonresident student in America? Do you find US tax to be confusing?

    Don’t worry, you’re not alone! Even for the most financially savvy US citizen, American tax can be pretty tricky.

    At Sprintax, we offer a 24/7 live chat service. Our chat team are on hand to guide our customers and answer all of their tax questions throughout the prep-process.

    Following the close of the 2018 tax season, we thought it would be a good idea to run the numbers on the most common questions our team have received throughout the year and answer them here in this handy blog!
    Continue reading “Revealed: the 14 US tax questions every nonresident student asks us!” »

  • Missed the US tax return deadline? Here’s what to do

    Filing your tax return late Sprintax

    Every nonresident alien in the US is obliged to file a 2019 tax return before the 15 July 2020 tax deadline (due to COVID-19 outbreak, the IRS tax filing deadline has been extended to 15 July in 2020).

    But what happens if you file your taxes late?

    Don’t panic! Nearly 30% of taxpayers are unable to organize their documents before the deadline. But you can still fix this!

    Here are a few important things you should consider if you missed the tax deadline.

    Continue reading “Missed the US tax return deadline? Here’s what to do” »

  • Where’s My Tax Refund?

    USA flag and American dollars. American flag blowing in the wind and 100 dollars banknotes in the background. USA flag and American dollars. American flag blowing in the wind and 100 dollars banknotes in the background

    Filed your tax return and wondering where your refund is? Here’s how you can keep up to speed with your refund

    With your tax return safely filed, you’re probably wondering ‘how long will it be before I receive my tax refund?’

    Fortunately you can now get information about your tax refund online.

    Here’s what you need to know…
    Continue reading “Where’s My Tax Refund?” »

  • When can I expect my tax refund?

    Sprintax US tax

    How long does it take the IRS to process an international student tax return?

    Continue reading “When can I expect my tax refund?” »

  • Everything you wanted to know about US tax (but were afraid to ask!)

    Us international students tax questions

    You might be surprised to learn that, at present, there are around one million international students studying in the United States. What won’t surprise you however, is that each of these one million students have tax obligations in the United States.

    What are these obligations? This is where things get a bit tricky!

    If you’re an international student in the US you might not be too familiar with the local tax system. And it’s highly likely that you’ll have some questions about your tax obligations and what you’re entitled to. That’s why we’ve created this handy guide to US tax for international students and other nonresident aliens.
    Continue reading “Everything you wanted to know about US tax (but were afraid to ask!)” »

  • How the ‘Tax Cuts and Jobs Act’ affects every nonresident student in the US

    What you need to know about the GOP tax reform

    We examine how the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (TCJA) affects the tax obligations of US non-residents

    In November 2017, President Donald Trump introduced a ‘Tax Cuts and Jobs Act’ that will have wide-ranging consequences for all US tax payers.

    There has been much confusion surrounding the new bill and tax payers have been keen to work out what the changes will mean for their pockets.

    Below we take a look at how the bill will affect the future tax obligations of US non-residents. Most of the changes have taken effect from January, 2018 and will change methods of withholding and the way non-residents will be taxed throughout 2018.

    It’s important to note that these amendments do not affect the 2017 tax return filing season.

    Continue reading “How the ‘Tax Cuts and Jobs Act’ affects every nonresident student in the US” »

  • How to maintain a valid F-1 visa status

    International student on F-1 visa

    Can I leave and return to the US on an F-1 visa?

    Am I entitled to work during the semester?

    How long can I stay in the country after my program is finished?

    To find out more about filing tax returns as an F-1 visa student, check out this guide.

    Continue reading “How to maintain a valid F-1 visa status” »